Friday 8 December 2017

Five Penny Rhymes by Beanie Lei (Poetry, Non-Fiction, 9/10E)

Cover updated 5th April 2019
 October 2017, 31 pages, Ebook, Review copy 

Book summary
In this, my amazing (if I may say so myself) first mini-collection of poems, I tackle bits and bobs about growing up head-on. There isn't much about pain, humour, or romance, I'm afraid, but there are a few experiments, some seriousness, one or two whinges, twenty stories, and lots of rhyming couplets…

Nayu's thoughts 
I'm not a huge fan of poetry, but somehow  I end up reviewing a few each year on this blog, and I was intrigued by this volume because I've read and enjoyed Beanie's work in the past (see suggested read). As Beanie says at the end of the book, most of the poems aren't funny or uplifting. There are some deep ones about the state of various organisations that Beanie has experienced, which while not what I'd choose to read were well written and definitely got their point across. 

It is easy to dip in and of of the book, but I chose to read it in one sitting. I'm certain here's at least one poem every reader wil be able to relate to, whether it's about a cute Robin, the woes of graduating university, the NHS, food and other topics. I expect I will reread these in time as Beanie's way with words are a pleasure to read regardless of the positivity/negativity of the poem, with nuggets of advice and life tips. 

Find out more on Beanie's blog

Suggested read
Check out Beanie's other books including the entertaining picture book The fox and It by Beanie Lei (Children's, Picture book, 10E/10E)

No comments: