Monday 27 February 2017

13 Minutes by Sarah Pinborough (Young Adult, 9/10E)

 16th February 2017, Gollancx, 432 pages, Paperback, Review copy

Content frequent strong language, alcohol and drug abuse, teen romance, immoral relations, 

Summary from Orion
Natasha was dead for 13 minutes. And it changed her world completely . . .

I was dead for 13 minutes.

I don't remember how I ended up in the icy water but I do know this - it wasn't an accident and I wasn't suicidal.

They say you should keep your friends close and your enemies closer, but when you're a teenage girl, it's hard to tell them apart. My friends love me, I'm sure of it. But that doesn't mean they didn't try to kill me. Does it?
 
Nayu's thoughts
I had an idea of how the story was going to be and I was rather wrong, but in a good way. While it's an awesome read with heaps of twisty bits it is a strong content novel, with an age warning for a good reason. It lost a mark due to the type of characters used (who like to swear, drink and abuse drugs) so some may not enjoy it if thy dislike those aspects. I wanted to know what happened and was hooked on the story so I kept reading. I can't say more than immoral relations without ruining part of the plot, so use your imagination. 

There was plenty of creativity with how Tasha died for a little while. My own theories grew wilder as the story progressed, and I was correct on a few aspects which was fun. I enjoyed the various point of views, especially the text conversations which increased my intrigue, just like how the pov hanged exactly as 'something' happened in the story! I don't particularly like any of e main characters, they are wilder than I am in many ways, but I did like aspects of Becca (not Tash) and felt sorry for the isolation she felt at several points in the tale. She certainly got in a lot of trouble, some of which she deserved, and I never knew exactly what bombshell would strike next. 

I strongly dislike comparing books to any media, but the style of this tale totally reminded me of the TV series Pretty Little Liars (I'm a fangirl). Definitely one for my reread shelf-I probably will reread it to see if I spot hints for key events. 

Suggested read



No comments: